December 21, 2010

N'Dardisc

Graeme Counsel informs me that he has finished the first draft of yet another discography. In this case of the N'Dardisc label.
When it comes to Senegalese music this is certainly one of my favourite labels, as you may have noticed from past posts (33-11, 33-12, 33-14, 45-18).

This seems a good occasion to add one more. "Folklore du Sénégal - Musique et chants traditionnels" (N'Dardisc 33-10, as you can check in the discography) is normally a title to put any prospective buyer off, - but this will prove to be a serious mistake with the N'Dardisc label.
Side A contains three classic tracks by Soundioulou Sissoko and his wife Mahawa Kouyaté. According to some (notably a presenter from the RTG from Guinea) they are the source of many songs which became hits with the Great Orchestras from the golden age of Guinean and Malian (Malinké) music. Although I have my doubts about this claim, I am sure they have had a substantial influence. On this lp Mahawa, accompanied by Soundioulou on cora, sings "Bandia" (interpreted by both Orchestre de la Pailotte and Orchestre du Jardin de Guinée) and "Sakhodougou" (Jardin/Balladins). Soundioulou adds his interpretation of "Alalake" (e.g. Bembeya), but personally I think he doesn't get close to the overpowering version of Lalo Keba Dramé on N'Dardisc 33-11.

This master of cora and copper vocals (see my earlier post) can be heard on side B, together with Samba Diabaré Samb. And what a deadly duo they are! "Bamba Bodian" is another version than the one on "Hommage A Lalo Keba Dramé", but again by the great master himself. And "Maky Tara" and "Saraba"..... well, I'll leave you to discover these marvels for yourselves. All I will say is that if you liked Samba Diabaré Samb's track on N'Dardisc 33-12, you will be blown away by these.....

N'Dardisc 33-10

6 comments:

bolingo69 said...

Looks fantastic, many good news here again!

Thank you very much!

Mouhamadou Falilou Mbacke Ndiaye said...

Very nice compilation. I'm enjoying it right now

bolingo69 said...

Stefan, does it really say N'Dardisc 45-8 on the "Rio Band de Dakar". it looks like there is a number before the 8. Actually it looks more like 45-18 or 45-10 to me but maybe it is 45-08 but it is kind of blurred. Maybe I should not doubt what you write as you are so careful with details but I just got curious since my eyes did not agree.

Above all, thanks for the good music!

WrldServ said...

@bolingo69: I was repeating a mistake I made earlier and had not yet corrected. Of course it is 45-18. Thanks for pointing this out.
And when it comes to eyes, I could do with a new pair...

Kostas from Greece said...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR WONDERFUL BLOG!!!
MANY, MANY WISHES!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR...

David said...

Thanks for this marvellous LP. As you say it is easy to hear the influences of these artists, or at least these traditional sounds, on so much Senegalese (and other West African) music. What a pleasure to hear it.