February 10, 2009

Tropical Jazz

This is one of these posts with a minimum of information. This was copied for me by a friend who had borrowed it from someone else, so I never even had a chance to copy the cover.

Orchestre Tropical Jazz de Dakar was one of the orchestras at the root of the tree from which all the branches of Senegalese modern music have sprouted. Founded in the 1950s, they blossomed in the sixties (when Amara Touré sang with the orchestra), and lost their leaves in the seventies.

This album is from the mid-1970s, judging by the two tracks dedicated to the memory of Aboubacar Demba Camara, the legendary singer of Bembeya Jazz National who died in Dakar on April 5, 1973.

Apart from those two tracks the lp contains four latin tracks (all with Cuban origins, if I am not mistaken), plus one bolero in Malinké.
It's a pleasant enough lp, but not one to spend a few hundred euros on.....

MAG 100

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A document! One more time, many, many, many thanks.

trumpetaaa said...

I love this blog it's fantastic
all these rare records & cassettes
that you could only dream about before coming up 1 after the other
I can not thank you enough

Anonymous said...

It has long wanted to hear this album, even after listening repeatedly still enjoyable.

But I can not find any sound in the orchestra to identifying it as a precursor of Super Diamono. ¡¡¡

Anonymous said...

Splendid!
Thank you very much for sharing this treasure.

zim said...

thank you.
so. . . .

which ones would be worth a few hundred euros?

WrldServ said...

@zim: I sense a challenge in your question. I will think about it, and share my findings in a post...

zim said...

not so much a challenge as curiosity - after all you have posted many fantastic LPs, some of which are fantastically rare -- and could be considered "holy grails" by collectors, so just wondering which would be yours.

either way, I'm more than happy to see the findings. . .