February 15, 2009

Alemayehu Eshete

With every new release in the Ethiopiques series I have been anxiously skimming the tracks, hoping to find more of - or like - the music of this mystery cassette. And by "mystery cassette" I don't mean I don't know who the artist is. It is none other than the great Alemayehu Eshete.
The mystery is in the date, the context and the tracks.

This cassette was copied for me some time in the early 1990s by a very kind Ethiopian, whom I had asked for a copy of his favourite music. And this was it.
He gave no explanation, no titles, nothing; only the music.

To me the cassette ranks in the Top 5 of Ethiopian collections. And that's saying a lot, with the stiff competition of Tilahuns, Mahmuds and Bizuneshes....

I am assuming at least part of the cassette was recorded from a radio show. Accompanied by piano, sax and accordeon Alemayehu's voice soars and touches emotional buttons others will never find. Real damage occurs with track A7, a track which has left scars in my heart.....

As if this is not enough the B-side of the cassette continues with Alemayehu with a full grown horn accompagnement, leaving me gasping for air by the time I get to the end of this 60 minute cassette.



Additionally, here is video with two clips plus a short interview with Alemayehu Eshete, from a documentary about Ethiopian music. I think the documentary was broadcasted in the early 1990s.

8 comments:

icastico said...

A true gem. Truly.

Anonymous said...

great cassette with very interesting music
many thanks

Anonymous said...

All your articles are fantastic....
Many greetings....Thank you very much for all this wonderful music.
Kostas from Greece.

Soniclee said...

This site the absolute best thing I have seen. Thank you for all the great, great music and history.

Regards,
M.

brooos said...

belated comment. This is worthy of your hype as it's better than anything of his to be released on the Ethiopiques series. It shows his essence instead of his blatant takes on James Brown. Anyhow, the tune "Azibni" also associated with Mohammed Wardi is, alone, worth the click!
Thanks again

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great music. Please upload others as well.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea what the documentary film that you posted called? I am talking about the one in which Alemayehu Eshete sings. I would appreciate it if you could send me the title of the film if you have it.
faciltesfaye@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

great great!! thanks for sharing something so personal and wonderful!!!